Cycle Tour in Karnataka
Karnataka is blessed with one of the finest landscapes and shores which inspires not only the mainstream tourists but also the active travellers. Cycle Tours in Karnataka are becoming insanely popular with the increasing millennial population in the state. Cycle tours vary from the beautiful rides along the shorelines or the stunning terrains or just riding from Bangalore to Mysore or Hampi to learn about the heritage and so on. Once you are on the pedal, you know there is a lot of fun and adventure waiting for you. Stop by to have a roadside coffee or Idli- Dosa famous in the local region or just admire the beauty all around. Ride in the ghat section to witness the surreal waterfalls, lush greenery, dense forests to experience wildlife or see the birds, just ride away towards a spiritual journey or just chill at wine tasting routes, Karnataka has it all.
Popular Cycle Tours in Karnataka
Ride in and around Bangalore
Get on to the pedal to explore Bangalore and the countryside to start with if you have not started cycling on longer routes yet.
The most popular and doable of all cycle tours is riding in and around Bangalore. Ride towards Nandi Hills for a quick energy boost of traditional South Indian breakfast or ride towards Silk weaving units. Get deeper into the knowledge of silk weaving and how the soft and smooth yarns transpire. Usually a half a day to the full-day trip, the itinerary also includes a visit to an old railway station and exploring the flavours of colonial architecture, visiting Bhoganandishwara temple, learning about Chola and Hoysala historical architecture and having local flavours of farm-fresh food.
Explore the charm of rustic, hilly terrain, boulders on the highway, unexplored landscapes of the countryside and ruins of historical remains in another exciting route near Bangalore clubbing a shot hike with it. Just 75 km away from Bangalore city, Chikaballapur is famous for hikes for beginners and seasoned as well. An adventure-filled itinerary includes a ride to Chikaballapur and a hike to give enough adrenaline rush for a satisfying day.
If you are a beginner or want your kids also to indulge in cycle tours, Hesaraghatta is a perfect choice to start with. Just 20 km from the Institute of Horticulture, Bangalore Hesaraghatta trail offers eternal views of the lake, village, and farmlands in shades of green, migratory birds, sunflower fields in the season, and much more making it exhilarating.
Countryside Cycling Trail
Looking for some off-beat locations? Ride towards Ghati Subramanya beyond Nandi Hills would be a good choice for those scintillating countryside views, tiny shrines here and there, flourishing farmlands, a little bit of off-roading, village life and of course the Ghati Subramanya Temple. The self-emerged Kartikeya temple is almost 600 years old and is also worshipped for snakes in South India. 40 km away from Kanivepura towards Dodaaballapur, this trail is suggested for seasoned riders and nature lovers.
Savanadurga – Manchanabele
For the veterans, an intense ride with a hike to Savanadurga – Manchanabele is about 70 km from Bangalore towards Bidadi. Enjoy the famed Thatte Idli at Bidadi and proceed towards the 400-years old Big Banyan Tree. Reach the base of Savanadurga Fort, a moderate level hike to one of Asia’s largest monolithic rocks with spectacular views of the surrounding hills. Ride towards the magnificent Manchanabele Dam to complete that perfect day outing.
Tours in Mysore & Coorg
Mysore is around 145 km and Coorg 250 km from Bangalore. Mysore and Coorg have always been on top of the list when visiting Karnataka. The tour itineraries include heritage, adventure, culture, food, monuments and pilgrimages. The cycle tours in Mysore and Coorg allows you to visit the interiors and some of the unexplored off-beat locations. Your Cycle Tour operators can customise an itinerary for you or just go with the pre-planned itineraries. The highlights of Cycle Tours in the Mysore – Coorg region includes:
- Ride through dense forests, coffee plantations and backwater views in Madikeri.
- A challenging ride to Chamundeshwari Temple or a leisure ride to Srirangapatna.
- A scenic ride through villages and farmlands from Mysore to Bandipur Forest is approximately 90 km.
- Surrounded by breath-taking hill views, meandering roads, and unbelievable sunsets, riding in Madikeri will leave you in awe.
- Unparalleled views of the lush green farmlands on one side of the road and the boulders on the other makes your ride a joyous one.
- Ride through the old quarters of Mysuru; eat special Mysore Masala Dosai and Mysore Pak in old Darshini style cafés and much more in this heritage city.
Please note: Forest regulations in India prohibit cycling and walking through the wildlife reserves, in the interest of animal and human safety. Cycling tours are beyond the forest areas. Your tour operator can arrange for forest safaris on request.
Bangalore to Hassan ride is through country roads, villages, and towns. A perfect road for that ride leads to the heritage town, Hassan. Ride through villages and the countryside, crossing over water bodies to farmlands and valleys, via coffee estates and reach the beautiful destination Sakleshpur. Being a hill station, rides here are through the high gradient and challenging. A scenic and tough ride to Devaramane hill and the downhill ride towards Kalasa town is something one must experience.
Riding through misty mountains, with a view of Western Ghats, and a dramatic landscape will sure make your rides in Sakleshpur an exciting one.
1. Sakleshpur has a beautiful landscape and perfect weather for cycle tours.
2. Rides in Sakleshpur offers you visits to Kudremukh National Parks, Augumbe National Park, and Temples.
3. Witness sprouting of beans and flowering along the coffee and spice plantations, panoramic views of the valley, rain-fed streams and waterfalls along the ride routes.
4. Usually, Sakleshpur rides end at the coastal Krnatakaka, riding down from the Western Ghats.
5. Sakleshpur is famous for its monsoon and riding in those lush green up and downhills will give you an experience of a lifetime.
6. Usually, 5-6 days of itinerary covers around 300 plus km.
7. Picturesque Baba Budangiri, Mullayangiri and Kemmanagundi not only offer the most mesmerising views but also will give an adrenaline rush riding in those winding roads.
Coastline Cycle Tours
After riding from the picturesque locations of Sakleshpur and Chikamagalur, ride towards the gorgeous coastal lines of Karnataka. Beautiful trails along the coastline or inside the town crossing via forests or jungles are beautiful in both directions, north as well south. Cycle rides towards Mangalore or Udupi side offer you more or less the same challenging and visual experiences
1. Most of the beach ride distances are between 50-60 km and easily doable.
2. Sasihithlu Beach ride towards Mangalore takes you along the rustic and peaceful backwaters, just 10 km away from Mangalore.
3. Surathkal Beach road will take to through the traditional village lifestyle and village huts.
4. Riding up in North towards Udupi is the Padubidri, a Blue-Flag Beach. Look for the rustic villages, copies along the trails, coconut trees along the route.
Hampi and Badami- Ride to historic and heritage towns of Karnataka
Usually, a 5 days trial that goes through mesmerizing valleys large boulders form cascades and rapids. You will trail through a magical and mythical landscape infused with the presence of Gods, Goddesses, and heroes linked with ancient legends. The terrain in Hampi and Badami ranges from flat grounds to moderate climbs. Distances pedalled daily range between 40 to 60 kilometres on a rolling terrain that combines relatively flat sections.
- Hampi and other areas in the vicinity are covered in 100 km.
- You have an option to drive or ride to Hampi.
- Explore dolomites and Anegundi up to the hiking spots which is around 50 km.
- Ride approximately 30 km to reach up to Hampi site to witness the magical Virupaksha temple and the other ruins of the time.
- Ride close to 140 km for Badami and break the cycle tour with Rock climbing here.
- Ride approximately 30 km to Badami caves and get amazed by the magnificent Badami Caves.
- The route is low intensity in terms of distance and gradient climbing.
- Check the distance and the gradient of the tour well in advance.
- On any given day, one will be riding 50-100 km. Prepare well in advance for your adventurous tour. The fitness level required has to be maintained at all times.
- Usually, the expedition is accompanied by a support vehicle that carries spare parts, baggage, and can be used by cyclists who want to rest or are unable to cycle on any particular day.
- Accommodation in basic to mid-segment hotels and homestays with good hygienic bathrooms is provided by the tour operator.
- Although meals are provided by the tour operator, it is advisable to carry your energy refuel along with you.
- Carry all prescribed medicines.
Information and Images courtesy: Art of Bicycle, Pedal in Tandem, Lohith Rao Mangalore, Unventured Expedition and Tour of Karnataka (TOK).