$1 per person
Murudeshwara is a temple town in Bhatkala Taluk, North Canara district in coastal Karnataka, known for its 123 ft tall statue of Lord Shiva, which is the second tallest of its kind in the world. (Tallest Shiva statue is in Nepal)
Things to do in Murudeshwara:
- Murudeshwara Temple: Built on Kanduka hill surrounded by ocean on 3 sides houses the main deity, Sri Mridesa or Murudeshwara.
- Sun Chariot: A golden coloured sun chariot next to the Shiva statue depicts Arjuna receiving geethopadesam (teaching of Bhagavad Gita) from Lord Krishna
- Climb up the temple tower (Raja Gopura): Raja Gopura has 20 stories, accessible by an elevator. Visitors can reach the top floor of the temple tower to get a grand view of the Shiva Statue and ocean.
- Water sports on the beach: Jet Ski rides and boat rides
- Scuba Diving at Netrani isands- a must try adventure sports
Places to visit near Murudeshwara: Jog falls (90 kms), Gokarna (80 kms), Maravanthe beach (55 kms), Idagunji mahaganapathi temple (20 kms) are the major attractions to visit along with Murudeshwara.
How to reach Murudeshwara: Murudeshwara is 490 kms from Bengaluru and 155 kms from Mangaluru. Mangaluru is the nearest airport. Murudeshwara Railway station is just 3 kms from town. Regular bus services are available to reach Murudeshwara from all major cities in coastal Karnataka.
Places to stay near Murudeshwara: Several budget and mid range hotels, luxury resorts are available in Murudeshwara.